A communique has been issued at the end of a just concluded meeting to domesticate the National Committee on Food and Nuqtrition (NCFN) Terms of Reference for the Lagos State Committee on Food and Nutrition (LSCFN).
The event which was fully supported by Civil Society- Scaling Up Nutrition (CS-SUNN) in Nigeria took place in Lagos between 10th and 11th March 2022.
Read the full communique below:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF TWO (2) DAYS DOMESTICATION OF THE NCFN TERMS OF REFERENCE AND CAPACITY OF MDA’S NUTRITION DESK OFFICERS ON MEMO WRITING HELD AT GOLFVIEW HOTEL & SUITES FROM THURSDAY 10TH – FRIDAY 11TH MARCH, 2022.
A two-day meeting on domestication of NCFN Terms of Reference and Memo writing for Nutrition Desk Officers held at the Golf view Hotel and Suites. It was organized by the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning in collaboration with Civil Society – Scaling up Nutrition in Nigeria (CS-SUNN).
The meeting was attended by members of State Committee on Food and Nutrition (SCFN), the Academia, CS-SUNN staff and officers from the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning.
The meeting was organized to domesticate the National Committee on Food and Nutrition Terms of Reference and build capacity of Nutrition Desk Officers on Memo Writing.
Presentations were made by different facilitators from Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Lagos State Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget and Lagos State Ministry of Health.
At the meeting, the following issues were observed:
- The malnutrition burden in Lagos State, which is manifested in form of under nutrition, stunting and wasting.
- That recommendation of lower level officers as members of SCFN by MDAs may hinder the effective implementation of the Food & nutrition policy
- The Lagos State policy and Multi-sectoral plan of action for Food and Nutrition will expire in year 2023.
- That there is little improvement in collaboration among MDAs in implementing nutrition activities.
- Lack of specific database that showcase all nutrition activities from all MDAs.
- There was paucity of knowledge on some nutrition concept among SCFN members
- There is a need to establish Local Government and Local Council Development Areas committee on Food and Nutrition in line with the Food and Nutrition Policy
- There is disparity in the format of Memo writing.
- There is inadequate publicity of SCFN activities in the state.
The meeting therefore recommended:
- The need for effective implementation of the Lagos state multi-sectoral plan of action for Food and Nutrition
- Representatives of relevant MDAs on SCFN must not be below grade level 14 and must be in the nutrition related department or unit
- That review of the Lagos State policy and Multi-sectoral plan of action for Food and Nutrition should commence in earnest.
- That there should be improved collaboration among MDAs in implementing nutrition activities
- A nutrition dash board that will showcase all nutrition activities from all MDAs should be designed.
- That there should be continuous capacity building on basic nutrition concepts among SCFN members
- Advocacy visits and sensitization should be made to Conference 57 and to the Honourable Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs on the need to establish and inaugurate the LG/LCDA Committee on Food & Nutrition.
- There is need for a statewide standard format of Memo writing.
- Quarterly newsletter of all nutrition activities in all relevant MDAs should be prepared and published by the representative of Ministry of Information and Strategy
- Advocacy to heads of relevant MDAs should be a continuous exercise.