The 6th General Assembly of Partners of the Global Water Partnership-Nigeria which was held at Vines Hotel in Abuja on 2nd February, 2017 was attended by fifty five (55) participants, thirty six (36) of them are of the Country Water Partnership organisation’s of the GWP-N.
Attached to this communiqué is the list of participants at the GAP, 2017.
In the Welcome Address, the chairman of GWP-N (Dr. Hassan Bdliya) appreciated the presence of the high powered delegation from the Federal Ministry of Water Resources, BOT of GWP/N, EU representative and encouraged the Partners/Participants to contribute to the discussions at the meeting of the General Assembly.
The Honourable Minister, FMWR ably represented by the Executive Director, NIWRMC, in his keynote address urged the Global Water Partnership/Nigeria to support the effort of the Government in implementing Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) by working more closely with the NIWRMC and FMWR.
The GAP was attended by three (3) out of the six members of the BOT of the GWP-Nigeria
At the end of the General Assembly of Partners 2017, it was resolved as follows:
• Financial report should be represented in a standard reporting format for clarity, the report should cover a period from 2013 to 2017 and should be signed by Chairman and Secretary;
• Re-constitution of a new Steering Committee to improve the Governance of GWP/N;
• That the composition of the steering committee should comprise of dedicated members and accordingly called for volunteers.
The following volunteered:
1. Okoye Chukwuma Franklin
2. Tosin A. Ajayi
3. Salami O. Abdullahi
4. Faith C. Ekpo
5. Zanaib Mohammed
6. Patrick Adah
7. Ajah Chima Oliver
8. Nelson N. Nwafor
9. Bassey Bassey
• Three additional members were nominated to join the Steering Committee, namely the immediate past Chairman – Dr. Hassan Bdliya, Mr. Nature Obiakor and Engr. Dr. Zaji Bunu.
• A member of the BOT and the outgoing Chairman should meet and deliberate on the activities of the volunteers and report back through the secretary;
• A strategic plan for the GWP/N should be developed soonest
• Re-affirmed the annual subscription as agreed in GAP, 2013 and directed the Secretariat to follow up the payments;
• BOT should hold meetings at least twice a year and the steering committee at least quarterly;
• Election was held for the office of the chairman GWP-N;
• The Director-General of NIHSA, Mr.Beckley Moses was nominated and eventually elected by the Assembly as the new Chairman GWP-N.
• At the end of the GAP, Dr. Muslim Idris called for adjournment and which was seconded by Mr. Reuben Habu, the Executive Director – Nigeria Integrated Water Resources Management Commission.
Compiled by Nature Obiakor