The application process is currently ongoing for the second edition of the Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship. Deadline is May 6, 2019.
The Fellowship is a 4-month program designed to immerse outstanding, early career, journalists in digital rights and digital inclusion advocacy – and intervention efforts – in Africa. Selected journalists will work with Paradigm Initiative on various projects and contribute to improving public understanding of digital rights and inclusion issues. In 2018, Nigeria’s Victor Ekwealor (Techpoint) and Togo’s Emmanuel Vitus (GhanaWeb) emerged as the pioneer fellows. In 2019, we plan to select three fellows.
Components of the Fellowship
- 2-day Orientation and Digital Rights/Inclusion training
- 2-week residency at Paradigm Initiative’s offices in Nigeria. The Fellow will spend time at the Yaba HQ, Aba LIFE Centre, Abuja office, Ajegunle LIFE Centre and Kano LIFE Centre
- 4-month virtual collaboration with Paradigm Initiative
- Fellowship may also include fully-funded local and international travels to participate in and cover relevant events
- Interaction with leading stakeholders in digital rights advocacy
- Fellows will be expected to participate in all scheduled activities
- Fellows will be expected to publish, in their affiliated newspapers or magazines, at least twelve reports on digital rights and inclusion issues during the fellowship period. Fellows will retain full editorial direction on the stories
- Fellows will be expected to continue to provide coverage to digital rights and inclusion issues after their fellowshipParadigm Initiative will provide fellows with a monthly stipend, and a one-time research grant, during the fellowship period
Who can apply?
- The Fellowship is open to journalists affiliated with mainstream print and online newspapers in Africa
- We are especially interested in women journalists
- Interested candidates must demonstrate previous coverage of human rights and/or tech issues and interest in advocacy journalism
- Interested candidates must not have spent more than ten years in journalism. We are most interested in outstanding, early career journalists
How to apply
Fill the application form HERE:
Deadline: May 6, 2019.
Fellowship will run from July to October 2019.