In an unprecedented move and just days after 5 Deputy Comptrollers General of Customs, DCG, resigned in protest against the leadership style of the Controller General, CG, Hameed Ali, 6 new DCGs of the rank of Assistant Comptrollers General have now been appointed to serve as Deputies to the CG.
Customs Public Relations Officer, Wale Adeniyi announced this as part of the ongoing restructuring and reorganization being implemented by the new CG.
He also revealed that 8 Comptrollers would be taking over new positions as Assistant Comptrollers-General created in the exercise.
“The Comptroller-General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd) has approved the appointment of Six (6) acting Deputy Comptrollers-General of Customs in the on-going re-organisation in the Service.
“The six (6) Officers, who are of the rank of Assistant Comptroller-General, will occupy the positions of Deputy-Comptrollers-General in acting capacity,” he said.
Those appointed are:
- ACG Idris Suleiman (Finance Administration and Technical Service)
- ACG Iya Umar (Tariff and Trade)
III. ACG Dan Ugo (Enforcement Investigation and Inspection)
- ACG Grace Adeyemo (Excise, FTZ & Industrial Incentive)
- ACG Austin Warikoru (Human Resource Development) VI.ACG Paul Ukaigwe (Strategic Research and Policy)”
Eight (8) Comptrollers were similarly announced to occupy the positions of Assistant Comptrollers-General created in the exercise. They are to occupy the new offices in acting capacity.
- Comptroller Umar Sanusi mni (ACG Headquarters)
- Comptroller Funsho Adegoke (ACG ICT)
III. Comptroller Mohammed Abbas mni (ACG Board)
- Comptroller Olatunji Aremu mni (Command & Staff College)
- Comptroller Charles Edike (Zonal Coordinator Zone ‘A’)
- Comptroller Abubakar Dangaladima (Zonal Coordinator Zone ‘B’)
VII. Comptroller Azarema Abdulkadir (Zonal Coordinator Zone ‘C’)
VIII. Comptroller Chidi Augustine (Zonal Coordinator Zone ‘D’)
There has been palpable tension in the Customs over the recent retirement of top officials by the new CG, as more than 34 Senior Officers were retired from Service in the current shuffling exercise.
Following the appointment of new DGs, Adeniyi also stated that 7 officers have been redeployed with new portfolios in line with customs restructuring. He added that the CG has emphasized the need for the new appointees to justify their new positions.
“Seven Officers are equally redeployed in the new exercise. They are:
- ACG Adesina Odunmbaku (Finance and Technical Service)
- ACG Robert Alu (Tariff and Trade)
III. ACG Ade Dosumu (Enforcement and Drugs)
- ACG Monday Abueh mni (Excise & Industrial Incentive)
- ACG Ahmed Mohammed mni (Human Resource Management)
- ACG Patience Iferi (Strategic Research and Policy) and
VII. Comptroller Aminu Abba (Technical Services)”