Amnesty International has launched “The Write for Rights Essay Competition 2017”. The competition is open to all Nigerians in secondary schools. The competition is aimed at empowering young people, support creativity and encourage critical thinking and understanding of human rights. Amnesty International is a non-governmental human rights organisation and global movement of over 7 million people campaigning for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.
- Students enrolled in accredited secondary schools in Nigeria are eligible to enter the competition.
- Entrants must select a Senior or Junior topic depending on their class in school.
How to Apply:
To apply for the essay contest, the candidates must submit an essay on one of the topics below according to the category and given guidelines:
- Junior Category: (JSS 1-JSS 3)
The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, The African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child recognizes the child as an individual who is entitled to his rights as a member of the community. It sets the basic standards for governments to provide for and to protect the children in terms of basic needs like health, nutrition, education and other aspects.
If you are the President of Nigeria, what rights would children in Nigeria enjoy?
- Senior Category: (SSS 1-SSS 3)
Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) states: ‘‘All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood’’
As a young person what would you do to promote human rights in Nigeria?
- The maximum word counts are 1,500 words for senior entries and 800 words for junior entries. These word limits apply to all topics and all formats
- Exceeding the word count will result in automatic disqualification
- Entries must be written in English
- Only one essay per entrant is allowed
- Essays can only be emailed as a Microsoft Word document (.doc) or if handwritten, scanned as a pdf.
Email your essay with your name, one passport size photograph, age, class, school, and contact information to: (firstname.lastname@example.org). One Winner and Runner-up will be chosen from each category. Winners and Runners-up will be contacted through their school. They will get a chance to win an amnesty gift pack (T-Shirts, books, and a certificate of participation).
All entries must be submitted latest midnight November 20, 2017.